Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    I was looking at my 620's... the wife doesn't mind them too much, but they kinda are big and in the way on the ground.

    My question is this.... Without sacrificing interior cab space, I was wondering if I could make the cabs taller, and only modify the thickness of the cab.. I am thinking of making them taller & thinner (about twice as tall) and mounting them on french cleats, flush to the wall. Also while keeping the same front baffle width.

    Would this work? I am looking to make them not take up so much floor space, and this is the only idea I can come with....beside the bass gain from the cabs being flush against the wall, would there be any other negative aspects of doing this?


    Has anyone tried a similar approach? Could I use the GPA XO I currently have , or would I have to modify it for the bass gain due to the close wall placement?

    Or am I opening a huge can of worms that I do not want to mess with?


    Thanks,


    -chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    Try it
    Get a few large card board boxes and mock up what you want with a knife and some duct tape. I have seen small working cabs made out of card board.
    If the bottoms of your 620s are removeable just put in a false back to get the vol. and mock up a " stand " to serve as the bottom half

    Don.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    Chris
    I recall the optium cab dimenions are a ratio of sq root of 3 .
    Ask GM

    Don

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    I'm guessing that with such a height, you'd run into 1/4 wave problems.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    How about a cab the size and shape that Hiraga is using?
    Hiraga - The magic of music

    Small(ish) footprint. Just under 19" wide, 21" deep.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    Quote Originally Posted by donaldpatten View Post
    Try it
    Get a few large card board boxes and mock up what you want with a knife and some duct tape. I have seen small working cabs made out of card board.
    If the bottoms of your 620s are removeable just put in a false back to get the vol. and mock up a " stand " to serve as the bottom half

    Don.
    Could a cardboard mockup hold up a 30 lb driver?

    Dave
    "When words fail, music speaks" - HC Anderson

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    The Stonehenge V arrangement comes to mind here...at least for me.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    I am wanting to get them off of the ground and not protrude so far out into the room...

    So I am thinking a slimmer & taller cab, but keep the same front baffle width. The use of the french cleats in the back of the cabs will insure a good,secure, & flush fit with the wall.

    I wish I had more time atm... I am in the midst of installing new floors. Also trying to get some big speakers out the door to their new customer. I wish I could throw something up on google sketch-up so show y'all visually what I mean.

    Tom, I all ready have the Stonehenge plans, thanks for sending them to me last year!

    Pano, I have seen that design, but I am wanting to get these off the ground, higher up and flush with the wall.

    Too bad my walls are not thick enough to soffit mount these, or I would consider that. Or maybe I could do a combination of this... something to think about while I am pounding floors together.


    I will throw together something though.....stay tuned.

    Thanks for the input fellas....

    -chris

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    My question is this.... Without sacrificing interior cab space, I was wondering if I could make the cabs taller, and only modify the thickness of the cab.. I am thinking of making them taller & thinner (about twice as tall) and mounting them on french cleats, flush to the wall. Also while keeping the same front baffle width.
    No problemo, just angle the sides of the baffle back ala the 606 to blend into the wall somewhat and break-up its horizontal eigenmodes. WRT driver, vent positioning, once you've decided on a total and driver height, let me know and I'll calculate the vent location in case it needs to be other than near/at the bottom.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thinking of new cabs for my 604's

    Ahh!! GM,

    Just who I was wanting to hear from...

    When I get this little renovation done to my house, and these cabs off to vallahax, I will send you the dims.

    On the advice of the sloped baffles, you are talking about the sides ones like the 606, the ones angled back a bit?


    Thanks GM,


    -chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.